As a part of the regional systems of education quality assessment in Russian Federation, CICED offers Student Achievements’ Monitoring (SAM). SAM is a tool to assess the development of educational and subject competences of pupils at the end of primary school. The tool is focused on students in grades 4-5, and includes tests in mathematics and Russian language.
Regional partnership (Russian Federation)
to diagnose quality levels of mastering of subject content on the basis of the taxonomy developed in the framework of the Vygotky’s theory of cultural development
to give the forecast of development of the student
to draw recommendations for the improvement of educational process through interventions depending on the monitoring results
The tool was developed by a team under the leadership of Dr. Petr Nezhnov, Dr. Boris Elkonin and Dr. Elena Kardanova in 2008-2014. Theoretical basis of the tool is the concept of cultural development (L. S. Vygotsky etc.).
SAM was developed in accordance with Federal State Educational Standards (FSES). It took into account innovative aspects, which were had laid to the standards for the first time. Assessment model of the acquisition of subject content provides opportunity to present existing subject content through the system of tasks of different levels, allowing teacher to master the idea of “systematic-acting” approach ” that underlies FSES.
SAM passed a comprehensive international examination, the necessary procedures of validation and verification according to international standards. It was tested in Russia (Moscow and Moscow oblast, Novgorod oblast, Kaluga oblast, Omsk oblast, Samara oblast, Chukotka AO, etc.), the United States, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan. Sampling included more than 14 500 students.
Currently SAM includes tests in mathematics and Russian language for primary school, but the theoretical model on which it is based, is universal and can be implemented at the subject material in both primary and secondary school on a wide range of academic disciplines.
Depending on the needs of the regional educational system there are the following options to use SAM:
The complex of works includes:
- preparatory phase (including training of regional specialists to familiarize teachers with SAM methodology);
- students testing, survey for teaching staff;
- processing of the results and conduction of the secondary analysis;
- drawing of the recommendations for the improvement of the educational results (for a class or a school or a district).
Conduction of training for teachers and methodologists on implementing of the recommended changes.
Subsequent re-monitoring analysis of the results of educational interventions.
- Regional education authorities receive the results of the monitoring: diagnostics of the levels of content acquisition, forecast of development of the students, evaluation of quality of preparation of pedagogical staff and recommendations for change in the educational process in class.
- Educational institutions receive recommendations for changing the educational process to improve the quality of educational outcomes.
- Teachers master the technology of in-classroom monitoring of the quality of education (each teacher develops its own technology of evaluation of the quality and gets diploma on retraining).